The episode took place possibly in early 1140, in the "Veiga of Slaughter", the banks of the river Vez (tributary of the river Lima) in Arcos de Valdevez, when D. Afonso Henriques, after the victory at the Battle of Ourique (1139 ), broke the peace of Tui (1137) and invaded Galicia. In response, Alfonso VII forces of Castile and Leon went on Portuguese lands, devastating the castles in his wake down the Soajo mountains toward Valdevez.MoreTourney of Arcos de Valdevez
The Church of Lapa is located in Arcos de Valdevez village in Portugal. It is in typical Baroque Rococo.
The project of the church devoted to Our Lady of Lapa, is attributed to André Soares and was completed in 1767.
The church has a centralized plant, the outside has an oval shape and the tower behind the chancel.
The interior has an octagonal shape with a high dome.
The pillory of Soajo is located in Largo do Eiró, in the parish of Soajo, village and Arcos de Valdevez municipality, district of Viana do Castelo, Portugal.
The date of its construction is uncertain, although the "Foral New" awarded to the village by Manuel I of Portugal in 1514 may point to its construction. According to António Martinho Baptista, it is supposed to be the seventeenth century, although there is no basis for documentation to support it. Its late chronology is attributed to the absence of traces of iron linings.
It is a National Monument by Decree of June 16, 1910.
In March 1980, a yoke of oxen tied to a car, ungoverned, hit the pillory breaking it into three parts, and subsequently restored.MorePillory of Soajo
The Palace of Giela is located in the town of Giela, town and Arcos de Valdevez municipality, district of Viana do Castelo, Portugal.
It is a noble housing, enrolled in the countryside, dating from the Middle Ages. Its current appearance is the result of two major construction stages: one fully low-medieval, and one of the early sixteenth century. It is classified as a national monument since 1910.MorePalace of Giela
All the Granaries of Soajo (Soajo, Arcos de Valdevez) make up a community threshing floor consists of 24 granaries, all in stone and based on a granite outcrop. The earliest date of 1782. Some of these granaries are still used by the population.
It is classified by IGESPAR as building of public interest since 1983.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Peneda is located in the parish of Gavieira, Arcos de Valdevez municipality, district of Viana do Castelo, Portugal. Is part of the Peneda-Geres National Park.
It was built between the late eighteenth century and the third quarter of the nineteenth century. The church was completed in 1875.MoreShrine of Our Lady of Peneda
The Peneda-Geres National Park or serrano set the Peneda-Geres, is located in the northeast of Minho, extending to Tras-os-Montes, from the land of the Serra da Peneda to the Serra do Geres - hence its designation -, being cut by two major rivers, the Rio Lima and Cávado. This protected area forms a conjunction with the Spanish natural park of Lower Limia - Serra do Xurés, being with this, since 1997, the Transfrontier Park Geres-Xurés and the Biosphere Reserve of the same name.
The Peneda-Geres National Park is considered by UNESCO as a World Biosphere Reserve.MorePeneda-Geres National Park